Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Yay! Shots!

You ever have one of those days where you think it will be incredibly lousy, but then it turns out to be pretty great? I guess today was one of those days for me, depending on if you're into measuring urine and that sort of thing. Waking up at 4:45 isn't my idea of a good time, considering I am not very attractive when I wake up (I'm talking about bags under my eyes, crazy hair, raspy voice). I get to clinical via the grandmother who has trouble seeing in the dark and therefore almost gets into near impossible driving situations. The nurse I was going to follow didn't seem like she was going to be of much help. You kind of hit or miss with them. They either want to teach you every little thing, or they're like "eh". And I mean, eh. This one ended up being okay, but she kind of handed over all the responsibilities to me for the patient I was assigned.

My patient was this really nice 40 year old who pretty much told me his entire life story. He talked about his past smoking and drinking habits for about 30 minutes. I gave my first intramuscular injection, which believe me, is much scarier for the nurse/doctor than it is for the poor soul getting the shot. It was one of those things I knew that I had to do eventually, but never ever wanted to have to do. I'm relieved that I finally did get to practice today though. My last experience giving a shot was alright, I guess, but I definitely went in too hard and made the poor guy jump. Not to mention my instructor said "WHOOOOA THERE". So yes, today was a much more pleasant experience, and now I'm a little "shot happy". So watch yo back. Also removed a catheter which was pretty uh....painful.

I forgot to mention that the floor I'm on is down the hall from the Labor and Delivery floor. This makes it extremely difficult for me to restrain myself from going down that hallway. It is right there. There are babies! Lots of babies! I realize this sounds as though I'm planning on stealing a baby, but this is not true. This is the area of nursing I am most interested in, although this could change, since I'm not exactly sure what I want to do.

Sidenote: Currently into Creedence Clearwater Revival. John Fogarty's voice is like listening to some soulful black man who sings on his front porch except that he's actually some goofy looking white guy. Kind of like Rick Astley. But that's a different story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZe9OtFNt_8


Alexandra

No comments:

Post a Comment