Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Reality Check

I knew it was part of the job when signed up for it, but I never thought I would actually witness it so soon. I got into clinical at 6:30 yesterday and got on the floor at 6:45. I got my patient assignments and was looking at their charts when I noticed some commotion coming from a room right across from the nurse's station. The door opened and a family member came out crying. She called the nurse over and the nurse rushed in. It turned out that an 81 year old woman had passed away. Within about 15 minutes, teams of doctors were coming onto the floor and going into the room. It was kind of strange being present for all of this. One of my classmates helped a nurse prepare the body. She was explaining it to us what she had to do and it may have been the creepiest thing I've ever heard. As nurses, we are so used to healing the sick and helping people get better. But death is part of the job. It kind of gave me a weird feeling the whole day, but it kind of made me realize that life is a one time deal (unless you believe in rebirth and that sort of thing) and you have to make it as good as you can. I'm thankful for that kind of experience because it makes me understand what life is about.

/end depressing rant


No comments:

Post a Comment